History of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
On May 29, 1837, an Article of Association with the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America was signed with 25 names attached to it.
The members began meeting in the home of Dr. John Briggs, Greenville, Ohio. In 1840, a small frame building was built at the northeast corner of Third and Walnut Streets, with the front facing Walnut Street. The cost was $600.00. In 1879, this building was remodeled into a larger and more suitable frame structure, this time facing Third Street.
Under the Pastorate of the Rev. Charles H. Lee from 1897 to 1906, a large and very desirable lot was purchased in the southeast corner of Broadway and Water Streets. A Building Committee was appointed, and in 1902, a new Church was erected of rough faced limestone on a concrete foundation. The new edifice was gothic in style, with high pitched slate roof, buttresses, pointed arch windows and a substantial corner tower.
In 2017 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church celebrated 180 years since the signing of the Article of Association with the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States. Our church continues to hold its Worship Service and other events in the beautiful 1902 building.